Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business In Hawaii

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

Starting a non-medical home care agency in Hawaii has several basic registrations.  However, Hawaii doesn't have a required license specifically for home care agencies, in contrast to many other states.  It is possible to register for both state tax withholding and unemployment insurance at the same time by downloading the form below.  You will also find various links to federal and state departments pertaining to your business start-up.   

Home Care Licensing

There is no required license in Hawaii specifically for home care agencies.

Registering Your Business Name

To determine if the business name you have chosen is currently being used in the state of Hawaii, go to the following Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Business Registration search link:

You will receive a written response from the Business Registration Division on the availability of the name you have searched for, or call them directly at (808) 586-2727.

After determining that your business name is not currently being used, you must register that name with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. You can do this electronically, or by hand-delivering, mailing or faxing your registration form to the office.  Visit the department site for:

  • Contact Information

  • Downloadable registration forms

  • Online registration

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses.

State Income Tax Withholding / Unemployment Insurance

Read through Instructions for State Tax Withholding and Unemployment Insurance.

Download and complete the Withholding Form to register your business.

Workers' Compensation

In the state of Hawaii, all home care agency employers, having one or more employees, full-time or part-time, permanent or temporary, are required to provide Workers' Compensation coverage.
To secure WC for your employees you can do one of two things:

  • Contact an insurance agency which is authorized to transact Workers' Compensation.

  • Become a self-insured employer who pays statutory benefits directly to its employees. To meet these guidelines, the employer must prove qualification for self-insurance to the Director of the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations. (Nelson Befitel, Director - 808-586-8844)

  • Contact the Workers' Compensation Insurance office:
    830 Punchbowl St. Room 209
    Honolulu, HI 96813
    email:  dir.workcomp@hawaii.gov

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about Hawaii state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the:

Department of Human Services of Hawaii
P.O. Box 339
Honolulu, HI 96809
Local: 1-808-587-3521

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, February 2, 2006.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.




Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today