Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business In Illinois

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

Starting a non-medical home care agency in Illinois is fairly basic once you complete the registration of your business name and entity.  Below you will see 5 steps listed in completing this process.  Several other links are provided to register with federal and state departments.  Unlike many other states, Illinois does not currently have a license specifically for home care agencies, however it is subject to change as of September of 2008. 

Home Care Licensing

As of June 16, 2008 the state of Illinois published the qualifications and requirements for home services workers as part of the Illinois Home Health, Home Services and Home Nursing Agency Act (Public Act 094-0379).  These newly published qualifications and requirements outline the standards that are used to issue licenses  to four categories of home care providers:

  • home services agencies
  • home services placement agencies
  • home nursing agencies
  • home nursing placement agencies

For up-to-date information about these regulations contact the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services.

Registering Your Business/Name

Illinois provides its new employers with an excellent online Step-by-Step Guide To Starting a Business in Illinois.  We recommend reviewing this information before proceeding with your registration.

  1. Choose Legal Structure - Before reserving your business name you must determine your businesses' legal structure.  For example, if your business is going to operate as an LLC, there will be a filing fee of $300 for a business name reservation.

  2. Business Name Search - Prior to reserving your business name, it is important that the name you've chosen is not already being used by another Illinois business.  Follow this link to the Illinois Electronic Corporate Name Database to search for name availability. 

  3. Register Business Name with County Clerk - When the business name is different from the owner's full legal name, the "Assumed Name Act" requires you to register the business name with your county clerk's office, regardless of the structure of the business.  Find Your County Clerk office here.  

  4. Reserve Business Name with the State - You must also reserve your business name with the state.  (Application for Reservation of Name) Complete the downloadable form and mail it along with the $25 filing fee to:
    Secretary of State
    Department of Business Services
    Springfield, IL 62756

  5. Register Business Entity with the State - However, in addition to reserving your business name with the state you will have to file a separate form to establish your business as an entity with the state, by designating your legal structure.  Click here to Register Your Company with the Secretary of State.  After linking to the page:
                      1 - scroll down to the section titled Office of the Secretary of State
                      2 - choose the Forms and Fees link that matches the legal structure of your
                      3 - choose the form for Articles of Organization which will establish your company as
                           an operating entity with the state.  

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses.

State Income Tax Withholding

The Illinois Revenue website offers thorough information on employer State Tax Withholding. 

  • downloadable forms (Registration Form REG-1)

  • electronic processing

  • and much more for all Illinois employers

Workers' Compensation

To learn more about how to cover your employees with Workers' Compensation, visit the Illinois Business site that offers a WC Start-Up Guide for new Illinois employers.  (Scroll down to page 15 of this guide to view current requirements and processing for WC insurance.)

You can also contact the:
Illinois Worker's Compensation Commission
100 West Randolph, 8-200
Chicago, Illinois 60601

Unemployment Compensation

As an employer you must register your business in Illinois within 30 days of the date you start to do business, if you hire employees.  To receive an Illinois Unemployment Account number you can either Register Electronically or Register By Mail (UI-1 Form).

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about Illinois state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the

Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services
201 South Grand Avenue, East
Springfield, IL 62763
Local: 1-217-782-1200
Toll-Free: 1-866-468-7543

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, September, 2008.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.

Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today