Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business In Indiana

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

To start up a non-medical home care agency in Indiana, the registration that will require deeper research is the Home Care License.  Below you can find a link to direct you in your inquiries.  All other business registrations seem to be very straightforward.  You will find links to several federal and state departments as well to aid you in completing your registrations. 

Home Care Licensing

In the state of Indiana, Non-Medical Home Care agencies fall under the same conditions and participation as Home Health Agencies.  All Medicare or Medicaid funded services are considered to be medical care providers.  Home Health Agencies must meet all State licensure and State practice regulations.  To read further about state definitions on these non-medical agencies visit the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid website.  There you can also read through enrollment and certification procedures. 

Searching For Your Business Name

You can complete an Online Name Search within the state of Indiana for business names currently being used or you can call the "Name Availability Line" at (317)232-6576.

Registering Your Business

To Register Your Business Entity with the state you can visit the Secretary of State website and complete this process online.  The online registration has lower filing fees than processing by mail. 

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses.

State Income Tax Withholding

As an Indiana employer you will need to register your new business with the Indiana Department of Revenue.  To register you can either:  

  • Submit "Form BT-1" online

  • Download and mail this form to the
    Indiana Department of Revenue
    Systems Services
    100 N. Senate Ave.
    Indianapolis, IN 46204

  • Drop-off a completed form at your nearest IDOR District Office.

Follow the department link above for more detailed information on registering.  To register for Indiana Withholding Tax on the BT-1 form, you must provide your Federal Employer Identification Number.

Workers' Compensation

To obtain Workers' Compensation for your employees you can either:

  • contact a private insurance carrier near you who is licensed to carry WC Insurance

  • contact the Workers' Compensation Board
    402 W. Washington St. Room W196
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46204

Unemployment Compensation

A business must carry Unemployment Insurance if:

  • it has $1500 or more total gross payroll in 3 months, or

  • it has at least one employee for 20 weeks or more during one calendar year. 

Obtaining Unemployment Insurance in Indiana seems to be a step or two more complicated than many other states. Employers are required to pay both a Federal and a State Unemployment tax. To read more about these taxes you can:

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about Indiana state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the:

Family and Social Services Administration of Indiana
402 W. Washington Street
P.O. Box 7083
Indianapolis, IN 46207-7083
Local: 1-317-233-4455
Toll-Free: 1-800-889-9949

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, February 7, 2006.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.

Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today