Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business In Kentucky

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

The basic start-up for a non-medical home care agency in Kentucky seems to be one of the easiest, in comparison with other state businesses.  For example, Kentucky doesn't require any specialized license for operating a home care agency within their state.  However, there are many other registrations to complete before opening your doors.  Please read below to view web links and other contact information for various federal and state agencies in charge of regulating business entities in Kentucky.   

Home Care Licensing

There is no required license in Kentucky specifically for home care agencies.

Registering Your Business / Name

After deciding what legal structure your Kentucky business is going to operate as, you can proceed to the following website and view various documents on Reserving a Business Name and Registering as a Business Entity.

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses.

State Income Tax Withholding

In Kentucky, employers must withhold state income tax from employees who are either residents or non-residents of the state.  The Department of Revenue provides employers with downloadable filing forms and an Instructions for Employers and Withholding Tables guide to further answer your questions and assist you in completing this registration process.

Workers' Compensation

All employers doing business in Kentucky, who employ at least one person, are required to have Workers' Compensation Insurance coverage. The exceptions to this are:

  • Employers who have a total gross annual payroll of less than $20,000 for all workers

To receive a Free WC Insurance Quote, visit the Workers Compensation site at this link and fill in the appropriate boxes.

For more information contact:

  • Workers Compensation Board of Kentucky at (785) 296-8484.

  • Questions about "Coverage & Compliance" (800) 332-0353.

Unemployment Compensation

In Kentucky "For-Profit" Businesses, other than agriculture, are liable to pay at least $1,500 towards Unemployment Tax in gross wages in a single calendar quarter if they have at least one worker performing service in each of 20 weeks out of a calendar year.

To apply for an Unemployment Insurance Number you will have to either:

  • Request form UI-1
    Application for Unemployment Insurance Employer Account
    from the
    Status Section, Unemployment Tax Branch
    PO Box 948
    Frankfort, KY 40602

  • Apply Online at the Kentucky Unemployment Insurance Department of Employment Services. Click on the link for "Establish an Employer Account." 

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about Kentucky state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the:

Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services
P.O. Box 2110
Frankfort, KY 40602-2110
Local: 1-502-564-4321
Toll-Free: 1-800-635-2570

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, February 8, 2006.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.

Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today