Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business in Michigan

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

Starting a non-medical home care agency in Michigan is somewhat simpler than in many other states.  For example, Michigan does not have a license to operate a home care agency, saving employers time and money for start-up.  An additional time-saver is using 3 Registrations at One Stop!  Avoid separate filings; go to one source.  Although, these are ways to simplify your start-up process, there are several other federal and state registrations that do not have any short-cuts.  Read below to find web links and contact information for these departments.

Home Care Licensing

There is no required license specifically for home care agencies within the state of Michigan.

Registering Your Business

The Official State of Michigan Website has created several pages of information which can guide a first-time employer through the steps of starting a business. Link to the Guide to Starting a Business in Michigan.

3 Registrations at One Stop! 
To read about how to Register Your Business with the state, register for State Withholding, and Workers' Compensation, follow the above link.

Complete a Business Entity Search, which will allow you to view business names which are already in use within Michigan.  After choosing the name you would like to use, you must decide the legal structure for your business.  At that point you can read over the different registrations necessary for that legal structure.  Click here, Ways to Legally Structure and Registering a Business Name, to review this information.   

In Michigan, it's easy to register for taxes.  Fill out one form - Registration for Michigan Taxes (Form 518).  This form allows a business to register for sales, use or Withholding Taxes, the single business tax, motor fuel or tobacco products tax. It can be obtained by contacting the Michigan Department of Treasury, (517) 636-4660 or (800) 367-6263. (Information courtesy of the Michigan State website www.michigan.org.)

"Most employers are required to provide Workers' Compensation coverage for their employees. This coverage applies to injuries incurred by workers in the course of their job duties. A workers' compensation policy is purchased from a private insurance company." (Information courtesy of the Michigan State website www.michigan.org.)

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses.

Unemployment Compensation

You need to register for a UIA Employer Account Number if you:

  • Are starting a new business and either:
        1) Have employees performing services in Michigan
        2) Plan to have employees working in Michigan
        3) Have acquired all or any part of the assets, organization, trade or business of an
            existing business having employees in Michigan.

***You cannot continue to use the employer account number of a prior owner; you must register for your own account number.***

(Information taken from the Labor and Economic Growth website.)
This site also includes e-filing for registering your business for Unemployment Insurance on the home page of this site.

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about Michigan state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the:

Michigan Department of Community Health
Sixth Floor, Lewis Cass Building
320 South Walnut Street
Lansing, MI 48913

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, February 9, 2006.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.

Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today