Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business In Mississippi

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

When starting up a non-medical home care agency in Mississippi, it is important to know that you don't need to obtain a home care license from the state.  Unlike many other states, Mississippi does not require a specialty license to operate home care.  However, there are several other federal and state departments which do require business registrations to be completed prior to operation.  Read below to view web links and contact information about this process.

Home Care Licensing

There is no specific license for home care agencies in Mississippi.

Registering Your Business Name

Upon making the decision to start a home care business, you will need to choose a name for your company.  To save time in this search, log onto the Secretary of State Corporation Name Search
and verify that your business name is not already being used within your state.

To answer any remaining questions about registering your business, go to the Mississippi Small Business Development Center.

Here you will find answers to questions such as:
• What legal structure should I choose for my business?
• Do I have to register my business?
• How do I register my business

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses.

State Income Tax Withholding

For all of your employer questions on registering for state withholding go to the Mississippi State Tax Commission website.  There you can read instructions and find out how to download the registration form.

Workers' Compensation

The Mississippi Workers' Compensation Commission administers Workers' Compensation for all in-state businesses. About Mississippi Workers' Compensation:

  • It is Compulsory

  • No waivers are permitted

  • There is no state fund

Employers may insure through:

  • Private Insurance carriers

  • Self-Insurance

  • Group of Employers

To contact the Commission office call (601) 987-4200 or visit their website.

Unemployment Compensation

Mississippi employers are required to supply Unemployment Insurance to their employees for businesses that pay in wages of at least $1500 in a calendar quarter.

To register you need to:

  1. Download and complete the Status Report (form UI-1).

  2. Once you have completed the form you can mail it to your local tax field representative.

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about Mississippi state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the:

Mississippi Division of Medicaid
239 North Lamar Street, Suite 801
Robert E. Lee Bldg.
Jackson, MS 39201-1399
Local: 1-601-359-6050
Toll-Free: 1-800-421-2408

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, February 13, 2006.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.

Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today