Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business In New Jersey

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

Compared to many other states, New Jersey offers businesses excellent start-up information.  The state website provides an online connection to most of the registrations for federal and state departments.  Use the Fast Path link below to access this incredible information.  Along with that, employers starting a non-medical home care agency will be required to apply for a license through the Department of Law and Public Safety.  Please read through this information before beginning your journey into home care.

Home Care Licensing

In order to receive the required home care license, you must first call for a (single page) questionnaire from the Department of Law and Public Safety.

Department of Law and Public Safety
Division of Consumer Affairs
Regulated Business Section

Then the department will send you a packet for the appropriate license application. Homecare with employees, independent contractor or registries will all be licensed as Home Care Services Firms. Even though you might already know this, the state still makes you fill out the questionnaire.

Health Care Service Firm
Kisha Pete

In New Jersey, a home care agency license is non-transferable, however a new owner can operate under the old license once they have filed their application accompanied by a copy of the bill of sale.

10 Major Registrations at One Location

Click here to read through New Jersey's Fast Path Checklist for starting a business in New Jersey.  There you will find detailed information, along with links to many different regulatory departments.  Some of the business topics include:

  • Reserving/Registering Your Business Name
  • File Original Business Certificate
  • Registration for Tax and Employer Purposes
  • Environmental Health and Safety Issues
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Unemployment Insurance
  • Disability Insurance

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses.

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about New Jersey state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the:

Department of Human Services of New Jersey
Quakerbridge Plaza, Building 7
P.O. Box 712
Trenton, NJ 08625-0712
Local: 1-609-588-2600
Toll-Free: In-State Calls Only 1-800-356-1561

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, February 15, 2006.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.

Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today