Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business In Ohio

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

Deciding to start up a private duty home care business in Ohio is becoming easier every year.  There are many ways for you to complete business registrations online, allowing you to get started much more quickly.  Ohio does not currently have a home care agency license.  However, there are several federal and state department registrations that need to be completed.  Below are some of the basic tools you can use to get your business started.   

Home Care Licensing

In the state of Ohio there is no required license specifically for home care agencies.

Reserving and Registering Your Business Name

Even though you don't need a specialty home care license for your business, you will need to register your business and reserve your business name with the state.  To search the state registry for business names currently being used in Ohio, you can go to the Ohio Secretary of State website and under Businesses and Corporations on the left side of the page, click on Is the name I want taken? 

After choosing your business name, you can download the necessary filing forms to register your business on the same site by clicking on, Obtain Filing Forms and following the process that fits the legal structure of your company.

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses

State Income Tax Withholding Registration

Ohio Business Gateway Home Page provides employers with the ability to register for state income tax withholding online.  There is no fee for this registration; however other tax registrations may have minimal fees. 

Workers' Compensation

To apply for Workers' Compensation coverage as an Ohio employer, simply log onto the Ohio Business Workers' Compensation website and apply directly online.  After you have completed registration through this online service you will be able to file all of your future WC forms online quickly and easily.

Unemployment Compensation

To apply for an Employer Account Number for Unemployment Compensation you must complete a Report to Determine Liability, and then mail it to the:
Ohio Department of Job and Family Services
Contribution Center
PO Box 182404
Columbus, OH 43218-2404
To access a downloadable form, click here: Report to Determine Liability
This site also provides you with information on your Reporting Requirements as an employer.

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about Ohio state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the Department of Job and Family Services of Ohio - Ohio Health Plans
30 East Broad Street
31st Floor
Columbus, OH 43215-3414
Local: 1-614-728-3288
Toll-Free: 1-800-324-8680

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, January 20, 2006.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.

Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today