Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business In South Dakota

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

Business start-up in the state of South Dakota falls right in line with many other states, with one exception: there is no Employee Tax Withholding.  However, although many other states require a home care license, information on licensing Home Care Agencies within South Dakota seems to be rather unclear.  It would be best to contact the Department of Health to receive accurate and up-to-date information on this step.  Other than that, you should be able to find the necessary registration information
below, including web links and contact information.

Home Care Licensing

After researching, we found information on Home Care licensing to be rather unclear.  Please contact the-
South Dakota Department of Health
Licensure and Certification
Division of Health Systems Development and Regulation

Business Name Search and Registration

In South Dakota it is very easy to search for available business names as well as register your business name.  To begin your search, click on Fictitious Name.  

  • Click Search to find if the name you have chosen is already being used within your state.

Although the Secretary of State website provides new employers with an online registration, it can only be accessed through Microsoft Internet Explorer (if you are using a different web browsing software, please use MIE to continue). 

  • Click on Register a Business from the link for Fictitious Name

  • They also provide a FAQs link for any basic concerns you may have about registering. 

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses.

State Income Tax Withholding

South Dakota does not have income tax; therefore there is currently no state tax withheld from employees.

Workers' Compensation

Under state law, employers are required to provide Workers' Compensation for their employees. Your questions can be directed to the Division of Labor and Management at (605)773-3681. Insurance can be obtained through a private insurance agency or through self-insurance.

Unemployment Compensation

To file for Unemployment Insurance simply go to the South Dakota Department of Labor website and under the Businesses link on the left, click on Unemployment Insurance.  From there you can:

  • register online

  • complete future filings online.

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about South Dakota state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the:

Department of Social Services of South Dakota
700 Governors Drive
Richard F Kneip Bldg,
Pierre, SD 57501
Local: 1-605-773-3495
Toll-Free: In-State Calls Only 1-800-452-7691

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, February 17, 2006.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.

Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today