Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business in Tennessee

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

Starting up a non-medical home care agency in Tennessee is accomplished through the completion of various federal and state registrations.  Below you can find web links and contact information for these departments.  Obtaining your Federal Employer Identification Number is the best place to start, but don't forget to contact the nearest regional licensing office to receive the home care agency license required by the Department of Mental and Development Disabilities.

Home Care Licensing

You can apply for the required home care license through the Department of Mental & Development Disabilities.

View the regulations for operating as a home care agency by visiting the department website.

  1. Click on Departmental Offices

  2. Select Office of Licensure

  3. Click on Licensure Rules on the left of the page

  4. Chapters 6 & 38 relate to home care

For an application, contact the regional office nearest you.  Go to the above Office of Licensure webpage.

  • Click on three regional offices

  • Find the appropriate office contact

Business Name Search

To search in the state of Tennessee, go to the Secretary of State Business Name Search site.  

  1. enter your potential name

  2. click Submit Search.

Register Your Business Name / Tax ID # / Unemployment Insurance #

Visit the Tennessee State ONE STOP BUSINESS RESOURCE site to complete all three of these registrations. 

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses.

State Income Tax Withholding

Tennessee does not have state taxes for employee withholding.

Workers' Compensation

To read about and download forms for Tennessee State Workers' Compensation, go to the state website and search under

  1. Businesses

  2. Workers' Compensation

  3. Forms and Posting Notice

or click on WC forms to link there directly.

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about Tennessee state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the:

Bureau of TennCare
310 Great Circle Rd.
Nashville, TN 37243
Toll-Free: 1-866-311-4287

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, February 20, 2006.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.

Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today