Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business In Virginia

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

Starting up a non-medical home care agency may seem like an overwhelming  task to complete.  Below you will find web links and contact information for various federal and state departments which regulate businesses within Virginia.  In addition to the basic registrations, employers must obtain a Home Care License through the Department of Health to operate a home care agency.  We recommend that you acquire your Federal Employer Identification Number before all other registrations. 

Home Care Licensing

In Virginia there is a required license for Home Care Organizations. For an application or other questions contact:

Center for Quality Health Care Services & Consumer Protection
3600 West Broad St., Suite 216
Richmond, VA 23230

Nancy Hofheimer, Director
Norman King, Business Manager

Virginia Department of Health
PO Box 2448
Richmond, VA 23218-2448

Registering Your Business

Before registering your business with the state, it is necessary to choose the Legal Structure for your business.  Once you have decided this, you can begin the process of registration.  Virginia State provides employers with clear, direct information on their website which can guide you through this process. Click on the above link, and then click Establishing or Registering Your Business.

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses.

State Income Tax Withholding

To register for State Tax Withholding visit the Virginia State website, and click on the Taxes link in the top left box.  From there you can register for your tax obligations.

Workers' Compensation

In Virginia you can choose between one of four ways to acquire Workers' Compensation coverage for your employees.

  • Purchase a policy from a licensed insurance company in Virginia

  • Apply to the Virginia WC Commission for approval as an independent self-insurer

  • Become a member of a group self-insurance association

  • Enter into an agreement with a professional employer organization

To read more about your obligations follow this link to The Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission website.

Unemployment Compensation

As an employer you will have to file a VEC FC-27 Report to Determine Liability for State Unemployment Tax form.  Download this form by clicking on the above link.  This website also offers information about quarterly filing and contact information.  After the VEC has received your completed form they will determine if you meet the criteria, and if so, they will assign you an account number for filing for Unemployment Compensation.

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about Virginia state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the:

Department of Medical Assistance Services
600 East Broad Street
Suite 1300
Richmond, VA 23219
Local: 1-804-786-6273
Toll-Free: In-State Calls Only 1-800-552-8627

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, February 21, 2006.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.

Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today