Home | Consulting Services | Bookstore | Resources | 10 Step Guide for Start-Ups | Advertise | Contact

Starting a Non-Medical Home Care Business In Wisconsin

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Company

Starting a non-medical home care agency in Wisconsin may seem like an overwhelming task to complete.  Below you will find information about various federal and state department registrations.  You will notice that, unlike many other states, Wisconsin doesn't require a license specifically to operate a home care agency.  We recommend that employers obtain their Federal Employer Identification Number before moving onto any other business registrations. 

Home Care Licensing

In the state of Wisconsin there is no specific required home care license.

Registering Your Business / Unemployment Compensation / Workers' Compensation

Wisconsin provides employers with a thorough Business Forms site for starting a business in their state. Clicking on this link will allow you to:

  • Register for State Withholding Taxes (downloadable form or register online)

  • Register online for Unemployment Insurance (Forms and General Information)

  • Read about the three ways to obtain Workers' Compensation Insurance

  • General Information and Forms

  • Where Do I Purchase WC Insurance?

Registering Your Business Name

To file a Business Name Reservation form, which will hold the name you have chosen from being used by another business, click on the following link, submit the completed form along with payment of (between $10-$15) the filing fee.  The filing fee for the Business Name Reservation is non-refundable.  In this case you would have to submit the form a second time, with a different name.

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees.  You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933.  You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application.  For more information visit www.irs.gov/businesses.

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about Wisconsin state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact the:

Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services
1 West Wilson Street
P.O. Box 309
Madison, WI 53701-0309
Local: 1-608-221-5720
Toll-Free: 1-800-362-3002

Information on this page is believed accurate as of the most recent update, February 22, 2006.  Corrections or additions may be emailed to updates@privatedutytoday.com.  This guide is meant as a starting point for business creation research, and may not be complete or current.  Private Duty Today shall not be liable for errors or omissions.

Subscribe to
Private Duty Today's
free biweekly
e-mail newsletter

Read back issues of
Private Duty Today